Indoor plants are a beautiful addition to your home. But if you’re looking to kick your plant game up a notch, you should consider building a wall mounted indoor herb garden. Not only will you have fresh herbs available to you at all times, you’ll also have a wonderful wall of greenery inside of your home.
If you’re wondering how to put together a wall mounted indoor herb garden in your home, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading for your step-by-step guide to creating the indoor garden wall of your dreams.
What Is a Wall Mounted Indoor Herb Garden?
Let’s start with the basics by explaining what a wall mounted indoor herb garden is.
Also known as a vertical garden, a wall mounted indoor herb garden is a grouping of plants, such as a normal garden. However, instead of lying flat on the ground, the plants are lining the wall.
There are several ways to mount your garden to your wall. You can mount individual planters onto your wall in sequence or the arrangement of your choice. You can also purchase a wall mount that can accommodate several planters. Better yet, you can build your own wall mount to be able to arrange your garden your way.
The possibilities are endless, but what’s for sure is that there are several benefits to a wall mounted indoor herb garden. Let’s take a look at what they are.
The Benefits of a Wall Mounted Indoor Herb Garden
One of the most obvious benefits of an indoor herb garden is that you’ll always have fresh herbs available at your fingertips. However, this type of vertical garden provides benefits beyond providing you with herbs.
A wall mounted garden is a great way to save space in your home, especially if you have a smaller-sized house and don’t have the space for a more substantial indoor garden.
What’s more is that a wall mounted indoor herb garden helps purify the air naturally, and with enough plants, it can even serve as a natural humidifier.
Finally, a wall mounted garden is aesthetically pleasing and can become the focal point of your home. You can choose to design it in a way that matches your current home decor, or use it to enhance the overall look of a room.
Now that you know all the reasons a wall mounted indoor herb garden can bring joy to your space, it’s time to learn how to build your own.
How to Put Together a Wall Mounted Indoor Herb Garden
Putting together a wall mounted indoor herb garden requires a few steps, but with proper planning, you’ll end up with the vertical indoor herb garden of your dreams.
Step 1: Find the Right Location
The first step toward putting together a wall mounted indoor herb garden is figuring out where exactly you want your indoor garden to be. This is one of the most important steps. You want to choose wisely, as where you put your herb garden will determine its success.
The kitchen is a great location for a wall mounted indoor herb garden. Not only does it give you easy access to your herbs when you need them the most, but it’s also easy access to water and your plants’ other potential needs. That being said, try to keep the plants away from the stove to minimize the direct heat.
If you can’t find a spot in your kitchen for your wall mounted indoor herb garden, don’t worry. There are a number of different places in your home that you can place your garden as long as it’s a suitable environment for growth.
No matter where you choose, make sure that the location you choose has the following:
- Good access to sunlight. If you don’t have a space that is close to natural light, then you’ll probably need a grow light.
- A far away distance from vents and heating.
- Good air circulation.
- Somewhere with a consistent temperature between 60 and 70 degrees.
Step 2: Pick Your Plants
After choosing the location of your wall mounted indoor herb garden, it’s crucial that you figure out what type of herbs you want in your new vertical garden.
The amount of sun in your chosen location and how much time you’ll have to water your herbs will be a deciding factor on which ones you choose. If the location of your wall mounted garden gets lots of light, choose plants that like a lot of light. If the location doesn’t get a lot of light, you’ll want to choose plants that are better in shaded areas.
What’s more is that you should organize your vertical herb garden in a way that the plants that do like light have more access to it close to the window or light sources, and the ones that don’t like light are further away.
However, choosing the type of plants you want in your herb garden isn’t the only important factor. It’s also important to know the number of plants, as this will dictate the type of wall mount you choose in the next step.
Remember that you’ll need to grow each herb in a separate pot as they’ll each have different needs, such as different soils and watering frequency. Therefore, the more diverse an herb garden you want, the more individual planters you’ll need.
Step 3: Find a Wall Mount
Once you have your location set and you’ve picked the type of herbs you want to grow, you need to find the wall mount that will bring your indoor herb garden vision to life.
There are several different types of wall mounts for planters out there, which makes it difficult to choose one. However, when choosing a wall mount, you want to consider the following factors:
- Type and amount of plants. Different herbs may benefit from different types of wall mounts. For example, climbing herbs may need a mount on which they can wrap themselves around, while other herbs grow in abundance and may need to be put in a bigger pot.
- Your current decor. Your indoor herb garden doesn’t just serve a practical purpose – it will also become a part of your decor. Consider what would go well with your current decor when choosing your wall mount.
Here are a few options when it comes to wall mounts for your herb garden:
- Foreside Rustic Slat Wood Wall Planter – This hanging wall planter comes with four distressed white enamel pots on a rustic, wood-slatted wall piece. This is a great option if you love farmhouse decor.
- Ivolador Modern Wall Planter – This stylish ceramic wall planter has a modern look thanks to its plated metal wire molded into a unique geometric shape. The pot includes a drainage hole and easily hangs off of the wall. It’s perfect for styling an entire wall with individual herbs.
- ShopLaLa Wall Planter – This pack of two wall planters is made from premium-quality New Zealand wood and is great for hanging several pots. The pots are not included.
- Darware Metal Wall Planter Rings – These eight-inch rings are a great minimalist option to display your indoor herb garden. They’re made from heavy duty steel and fit with any home decor.
- DIY – Build your own custom wall mount and personalize your wall mounted indoor herb garden just the way you want it. For example, shelves can be made from MDF cut to size.
Step 4: Plan a Watering System
Water is the most important element for your herbs to thrive, so you want to ensure that you have a system in place for watering your plants.
A self-watering system is the most efficient way to ensure that your herbs receive the right amount of water when they need it. This may include:
- Plant watering spikes or globes
- Self-watering planters
- Indoor irrigation system
If you’re not interested in creating a self-watering system, make sure that you have a watering schedule that you can stick to so you ensure that your herbs stay hydrated.
Step 5: Put Your Garden Together
Finally, with everything in place, you’re ready to put your wall mounted indoor herb garden together.
This is the fun part where you get to play around and experiment with how you want your indoor garden to look. No matter what type of wall mount you decide to go with, how many plants you choose, or the location of your indoor herb garden, make sure that the result is a garden where your herbs get enough sunlight, air circulation, and overall resources to thrive.
To recap, the steps toward building a wall mounted indoor herb garden are:
- Choose your location.
- Choose your plants.
- Find a wall mount.
- Establish a watering system.
- Build your herb garden.
Although it requires a lot of planning and effort, a wall mounted indoor herb garden is worth having easy access to fresh herbs when you need it, making it a beautiful centerpiece in your home.